Saturday, June 30, 2012

Back on Brazilian soil

I made it! But, what most of you don't know, is that my original flight out of Columbus was cancelled on June 13th and rescheduled for June 14th. I know it's only a day delayed, but I was devastated! It's so hard going through goodbye after goodbye, then not leaving. 
Anyways, I arrived in Brazil on June 15th around 10am. Nic and Jonathan picked me up from the airport with open arms, I was so happy to see them! As soon as they picked me up, we rented a car for our "4 day trip" to Recife, (you'll see why I put "4 day trip" in quotes real soon), and we drove to the house they had been staying in for the past 6 months. We loaded up and hit the road. Yes, you are reading this correctly, I immediately got off the flight and found myself in the drivers seat, honestly though I wouldn't want it any other way. The first day we drove 4 hours, second day 8 hours, third day was 16 hours, and after that day, we decided to split the other days so we didn't have to have another 16 hour day, haha. On the third day we made it to the coast, which was so rewarding :) Day 4, 5 and 6 all consisted between 5-8 hour days. Sometimes we drove on dirt paths, sometimes we had to go over bridges that consisted of 2x4's with nails sticking out of them, and there was a time we had to take a ferry across the river to get to the other side. The highways were packed full with semi's and if I'm being honest, they all drive like they want to die or will kill anyone who get's in their way. Seriously, they would try to pass each other, or us for that matter on a two-lane highway with cars coming from the opposite direction, talk about some scary intense driving. I'm still thanking God for His protection during our road-trip :)
(Top Left: Dirt road we thought would never end; Top Right: First dirt road ended, only to surprise us for a dirt road night drive; Bottom Left: Semi guy; Bottom Right: Kate and I on the boat ferry)
Now, we're in Recife :) Our new home. 
Since I've been here, we've unloaded and have tried to get settled into our new house, however, there are some problems- and big enough problems, we're thinking about moving into another house real soon. Be praying for us about this please :)
It was my birthday June 24th and what better place to celebrate it than the beach, right? We all took a break from working on the house to head to the beaches of Recife. Then that night, we went out for birthday seafood dinner :) It was so much fun celebrating with my Shores family! 
(top left: me and my friend/roommate Kate; top right: me and my cake Kate made me :); bottom left: some of the shores team at birthday dinner; bottom right: me and the Billman kids Christian, Forrest and Leila)
Last night we headed to the streets. As much as I've missed being on the streets, my heart was heavy. I'll never be ok with what we see and I know God will use that feeling for good. We headed to a park we knew street kids typically hang out. There, we met new people and also recognized some of the kids we had seen in our previous visits to Recife. 
(Top: the park we will visit regularly, a lot of street children hang out here; bottom left: trash from the city everywhere; bottom right: if you look closely behind all the cardboard boxes you'll see a lady, that's her home)
One girl we met says she was 12 years old and was sniffing glue out of a coke pop can the entire time we were talking to her. She was done working by the time we got there (around 11pm). She takes the subway into the city every night to work. (By work, did you pick up that she's a prostitute?) We talked with her for awhile and ended up buying her dinner. There was a 27 year old girl who was with her. We're not really sure what she was up to hanging out in the park, but we have our ideas. The 27 year old let us pray for her and her 4 kids. We're already starting new relationships here in Recife.
It's getting harder to go to the streets and not have a place for the girls/boys to come and live. Our goal is to have the safe house open in September 2012. We're still looking for the best house to fit for those who will be rescued! That's something else you can be praying for too :) 
OK, have a wonderful weekend/week up ahead! 
Don't hesitate to ask questions :) Hope you can see the pics ok and enjoy them!

No comments:

Post a Comment