Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Above it all

Throughout this last month there have been highs and lows, I've said this many times and I wont stop saying it, the good outruns the bad situations every time. No matter what I go through, my focus is on why God has me here and in that, I'm settled with Him and what He's doing through me here in Brasil!
We have continued to head out onto the streets of Curitiba to talk to the prostitutes to keep forming friendships with them. We are now noticing that more and more prostitutes remember us and they are coming up to us saying things like, "you're back" or "we were wondering if you were going to come out tonight," and stuff like that. We are starting to have more conversations with them where they are telling us that they don't like what they do, they feel like there's nothing else for them and they are always wanting us to pray for their safety. It breaks my heart that their not to the place of actually leaving the streets yet, but for now, this is why we are continuing to go to the streets, to create an atmosphere of love.
We have been going into the favelas on Sunday mornings. There's a church here in Curitiba called Vida Plena that has built a church in one of the favelas. We have been helping lead worship and have prayed over the favela people that come to church. So many kids come too, so we have had the privilege of loving on them too :) here's a story of what I've experienced in one of the favelas:
“Love at First Sight”
While we’re in a favela, we have one purpose, and that is to love. So far I’ve been a couple of times, and literally the kids flock all around you. The little girl that grabbed my hand is about 5 years old, and her name is Estefane (Steffany). She spotted me as soon as I walked by her house, our eyes locked, it was love at first sight. I kept walking because at the time we were getting a tour of the favela and being told what parts not to go into. But, it wasn’t long before I felt a little hand grab mine, I looked down and it was her. We locked eyes again and there was another instant change in my heart. Just by her touch, my heart is forever changed. She wouldn’t stop looking and smiling up at me and I couldn’t stop smiling at her. She was so beautiful, and even though we couldn’t understand what we were saying to each other, she’ll have a place in my heart forever. 
The weather in Curitiba is so different. It used to rain at least once a day, but now, it's just chilly and cloudy. I'm not ready for there to be no sun, so I'm hoping there are some sunny hot days in the near future :)
Hmmmmm, I can't think of anything else for now, BUT I will tell you this- DON'T  take pancakes for granted! I have been craving them since I've gotten here AND have not made them, SO if anyone has an idea of how I can make them from scratch, that would be greatly appreciated ;)
Beijos!! 
Beck
Brasil is none for a couple of things bananas and coffee, this makes me a very happy girl :)
Also, if there is anything you'd like to know just ask away ;)

3 comments:

  1. your in luck, lol ,
    here's the recipe:
    -1 egg
    -1 cup buttermilk (or milk will work)
    -2 tbsp shortning (butter)
    -1 cup all flour
    -1tsp baking powder
    -1/2 tsp soda
    -1/2 tsp salt
    enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks easy!! yay!! thank youuuu sooo much!!

    ReplyDelete